Friday, July 21, 2006

Who Am I?

I often get puzzled by a nagging question: Who am I? As time passes, I feel more miserable as no definite answer emerges. In my school days, I had learnt that the planet Earth on which we live is just one among nine planets orbiting Sun. There are 100 million stars like Sun in our galaxy Milky Way alone and millions of galaxies are part of the Universe. The mother Earth is the only one among trillions of celestial bodies known to harbour life. I remind myself that one trillion is 1,000,000,000,000. The world human population is over six billion and there is no estimate of animals, insects and other life-forms inhabiting there. I shudder to think that there are more than 6,000,000,000 human beings like me as co-inhabitants on this planet.
Closer home, I am just one among 1,000,000,000(one billion or one thousand million or ten thousand lakhs – whichever way it is counted) people who are my countrymen. I live in a city which ranks among the ten largest in the world population-wise. Here again, I am one of the hundred lakh people breathing the same air.
There are more than 350 million people who belong to BPL group (a cleverly disguised acronym for Below the Poverty Line) and can not afford one square meal a day. I get solace from the fact that I belong to the fortunate class called middle class – some 250 millions in all. But some richest persons in the world like Bill Gates reportedly make one thousand dollars (Rupees fifty thousand) a second – just about the same amount a middle class person makes in a year and the time I take to write a word!
As per Hindu scriptures, there are 33, 00,000, 000 of gods and goddesses. I have so far offered prayers to only two scores in temples and home. I realize wistfully that I must be re-born millions of times to attain salvation. That raises the question of births and deaths. If and when I will be re-born, I will enter this world with 250 like me in the same very second and when I die I will not be alone to take the journey.
At times, in my deep contemplation, I hear an inner voice whispering “you are a part of Me”. My heart then fills in joy learning that I am, even though a mere speck in the vast cosmos, is also a part of Him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post!Truly the world is huge....beyond imagination or understanding....with humans being small specks, their identity unnoticed in this vastness of space!